Monday 5 November 2007

Birthday to remember

Saturday was Sally's 50th birthday and the day before the wedding. We were all booked into seaside apartments in Rockingham on Saturday and Sunday nights, as the wedding reception was being held in Rockingham Yacht Club. I towed the Jet Ski down to the coast with the Monaro and, after checking into the apartments, we had a couple of hours playing before we had to get ready to go out in the evening (Did I mention that I love jet-skiing?).

We had a meal booked for 7pm at Winston's on the Rockingham seafront for all of our party and Tracy's family. All 17 of us had a drink and sat down for our meal - and a few minutes later the lights went out! I suspect the Australian power distribution system is built using recycled didgeridoos and kangaroo teath as the last time I was over in Sydney we had a major power cut.

Anyway, apparently it was too dangerous for the chef to cook in the dark so we told that we couldn't have our meal - we'd all had a drink or two which we couldn't pay for because the till wouldn't work. After a brief discussion we went up to Age's 6 floor $1.2 million luxury apartment (by the stairs because the lifts were out) and ordered take-out pizza in the dark. We emptied his fridge and luckily the lights had come back on before the pizza arrived. It turned out to be a really good evening in the end and everybody got to know each other really well.

Later, on the way back to our apartment I took Sally down to the beach and asked her to marry me. Much to my relief she said 'yes' and I slipped the ring I had bought her in Dubai onto her finger.

No comments: